Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Girl




My baby girl will be 8 years old in a few weeks. I remember this time of year in 2001. Mid summer. Scorching heat. 9 months pregnant. But loving every minute that we awaited the arrival of our first child. Sitting at my Nannys house on July 14th, no-one knew that once we finished dinner, Autumn was ready to make her arrival. Cory and I lived about 2 minutes from my Nanny. So, we anxiously, nervously, excitedly and carefully drove to our house and got the hospital bags ... just in case it was time. I'll never forget the white tank top and khaki capris I had on as we walked into Sacred Heart Hospital. We had been there many times before during this pregnancy; Autumn had made herself known! This time it wasn't a complication, it was labor! We went to the OB nurses floor and they hooked me up to the monitor. They did an ultrasound. Autumn was fine. Dr. Sontag came in about 10:30 that night. He said if he sent us home that we'd be back before midnight. About 11:00 pm he broke my water and we were on our way. No turning back now! We called our parents to let them know this was it. They all came over, of course. And the wait began. Labor intensified and intensified. I had a small pitocin drip to keep labor going. Around 6:30 am on July 15th I had gone as far as I could pain wise. I asked for an epidural. At this time at SHH no-one was allowed in the room besides the anesthisiologist and the nurse. Cory had to leave. I was shaking so violently sitting on the edge of that bed. I wanted him in there so bad. But 15 minutes later I was a new woman. Once my body relaxed from the epidural, Autumn made her arrival at 8:32 am on July 15th. There's no feeling to describe the first moment you lay eyes on your baby; your first born. It was like the world stood still for a moment. Like God has just kissed my forehead, but paused for a moment to let me know He was there. I remember looking at Cory with tears in his eyes. Another lady had forever stolen his heart; and she'd only been in this world for seconds. I knew in that moment that life would never be the same again. Good, bad, or in between. Life had been created. A life we had created. As the nurses laid Autumn on me, I felt love in such a new way. A mothers love. I knew she'd always be "my girl". I realized in those few moments that God knew every detail when He made us. He fashioned us for purposes beyond ourselves.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens herself daily. She perceives that her provision for her family is good: she does not retire early but works diligently to see to the needs of her family, she is not an idle woman. Proverbs 31:17, 18, 27

I pray I can always be a mom that my children are proud of. I pray I am a mother that my husband can hold with great esteem. I pray God holds his head high when he thinks of me as a daughter He chose to grant the title of mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment