Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Thirties

Well, I have arrived at my thirties.

The weeks leading up to my 30th birthday were pretty weird.
I started questioning whether I’ll be able to wear my Hollister jeans.
Whether I’ll be able to wear my sundresses and leggings.
Will my stilettos still be appropriate?
Will our students think I’m “old” now?
My back hurts … is that because I’m thirty?
I noticed I have more gray hairs than ever before.
I got nervous and bought some night wrinkle cream.
Cory laughed when he saw me putting it on, and I tried to convince him it was just a lotion I needed,
that happened to have anti-aging stuff in it :)

And yet over the past few weeks, my perspective has changed.

I realized that I have not only arrived safely at my thirties ….

I arrived healthy … at my thirties.
I arrived with a husband who loves me … at my thirties.
I arrived with a husband who loves Jesus … at my thirties.
I arrived with a daughter who walks like me and talks like me … at my thirties.
I arrived with a son who daily plays with my hair … at my thirties.
I arrived with a home to retreat to … at my thirties.
I arrived with parents who visit us often … at my thirties.
I arrived with six grandparents still living … at my thirties.
I arrived with a youth group full of students striving to reach God … at my thirties.
I arrived with a handful of friends who will lift my hands when I’m weak …. at my thirties.
I have arrived … safely …. healthy …. And full of more love and blessings than I know I deserve.

So instead of looking at growing older as a bad thing.
Instead of fretting and worrying over the negatives, I will choose to find the positives.
I will be thankful for the life God has granted me.
I will consider it an honor.

“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”
Psalm 91:14-16

2 comments:

  1. ...so...my mom JUST made the comment to me "you're about to be 21 and you'll be heading toward YOUR thirties!" :). Not sure if she meant that in a bad way, haha, but either way I'm okay with it--you make "thirties" seem like fun! Besides...isn't "30" like the new "20" ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're beautiful at 30...inside AND out! I have to tell you something funny that just happened this past Sunday in my middle school class. I was saying something about working at the church for 19 years & one of my students said, "Mrs. Debbie, I thought you were only in your 20's!" And another one said, "I thought you were in your 30's!" And another one responded, "No, I knew she was in her 40's!" Now, THAT made me feel incredible! Of course, you and I know how old I really am! But they made my day!!! I'm so blessed to be healthy, have no aches & pains, and to have you, Cory, Jeremy and my precious grandchildren as well as the rest of my family & friends! And of course my wonderful, amazing Savior! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete