Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Integrity


So, I had a few minutes before my babysitter had to leave today ... so I stole a quick trip, alone, to the chaotic store we all know as Wal-Mart. I am not used to shopping Wal-Mart, I normally do Winn-Dixie or Publix .... just less people. Sans kids, I thought it would be easier. Haha.

I had already walked the length of the store 6 times ... seriously. I remembered I needed milk, then remembered I need paint for a project, then remembered I need yogurt, then I remembered we were almost out of toilet paper ... YOU GET THE POINT!

By the time I was at the front of the store trying to find the line with the least people I realized I had two items in my buggy I didn't want to buy anymore. I looked around to see if anyone was looking. I saw an empty slot on a shelf. Sure those items were completley unrelated. But they pay people to "put stuff back", right? As I reached to put the items in that empty slot, checking to make sure no-one was watching, guess what happened:  

My husband and his talk on intergrity hit me square in the face. He thrives off of having integrity.
You see, I used to have a horrible habit of placing items randomly in stores. He lovingly told me a few years into our marriage how much this simple practice lacks integrity.

So, with respect for my husband and a teeny bit of conviction in my heart, I walked the 20 aisles to the back of the store just to put the items back on the shelf. I did it. Not completely willingly, but I did it.

And when I unloaded my buggy, I took it all the way to the buggy cart. Which on occassion, I've been known not to do. Oh yeah, that's another one of small integrity things!

I love my husband ... and I love that he pushes me to be a better person ... even when he doesn't know it.

Integrity (according to websters) = firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility

Integrity (according to my husband) = What you do when no-one is around. Who you are when no-one is watching.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't tell you how many times I've just put things in random places of a store and really never thought anything of it because I was in a hurry or I just didn't feel like going all the way back to it's original place.
    I'm gonna think about this though the next time I go shopping :)

    ReplyDelete